Friday, May 22, 2009

A baby and a movie


Today was a pretty big day - Emmett and I had our first date about town! We haven't gotten out a lot recently except to take him to his check ups but with the exception of a couple of stops on the way home to get the necessities and as far as the momma it's been what, 5+ months since I've really done anything. The last outing I even remember was going to go see the midnight showing of Twilight which was 6 months ago yesterday.

long.overdue

So what did we do with our newly discovered freedom?


We had a movie date!

OK, enter eye-rolls and groans here. Apparently I missed some memo about babies being restricted from a movie theater. Uh-oh, somebody call the cops on me for being such a nuisance. I had barely even stepped foot inside the building and some complete and this couple of complete strangers just walks by with those contemptuous look of disgust and makes some nasty comment about selfish, stupid morons who would bring a baby to a movie and not paying their money to listen to a ******* baby cry. Let me just say the way it went down was nasty.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people to think that saying something like to anyone is OK? I can't help your thoughts or opinions, but some things should be kept to yourself.

Granted, I understand people's objections about bringing children of any age to a movie if they cause a distraction. Heck, I have been balancing the options of whether or not to go for days now because I just needed to get out and just needed on this particular occasion to see a flick. But bitching & moaning about and put someone down when nothings has happened just seems ridiculous to me. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I have to be holed up in my home all day with the baby. Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I can't enjoy the services in life that available to the public -- remember I'm paying for this too, not just you!

It didn't seem like they enjoyed the film at all because I caught them glaring at me during the movie a couple of times. Really, you're that stressed out over it when my little man didn't make a peep the whole movie long? He nursed, he napped, he nursed some more and I was perfectly prepared to leave the auditorium if he started to get fussy. The real kicker is that their cell phone went off ten minutes into the movie. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to make some snarky remark at them but of course I didn't.

It was exactly what this momma needed! And this ends my short rant for the day. If you want to see the movie I definitely give it a thumbs up!!

5 comments on "A baby and a movie"

Me on May 23, 2009 at 12:37 AM said...

Glad you had a good outing! Check with some of the local theatres - some theatres have a "mommy" showing for mommies and their babies so you don't have to deal with that! - Tkeys

Nicole @ OrWhateverYouDo on May 23, 2009 at 9:31 AM said...

You have much more restraint than I do! I would've snarked away, or turned to stare at THEM for WAY too long when I noticed them staring at me. :) I'm kind of passive aggressive that way though when provoked.

I don't really recommend the "mommy and me" showings. You won't see much of the movie because people bring their toddlers too. ;) Well, until the baby gets older that is and won't just nurse and sleep through a movie! They are good ways to meet other moms though if you are into that sort of thing.

GingerJess on May 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM said...

that is horrible! Some people just have no regard... if they had any idea what you've been through, they wouldn't have said a word... and if I had been there with you, I would have said something to them... effin morons...

I'm glad you had a nice outing though, you totally deserved it!!! (minus the a-holes at the theatre)

♥ LyNnE ♥ on May 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM said...

Glad you enjoyed your time out! I don't understand people these days either.

When Titanic first came out my oldest was 2.5 mo, we took him to see it, sat in the first row, he never made a peep either, and like you I was prepared to leave. No one looked at me weird or said anything to me, and you know that's a really long movie, he was quiet the entire time!

Debbie on June 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM said...

HL-- I tagged you in a meme! Cause I know you aren't busy with a baby or anything. :)