Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Am I allowed a sick day?


The old me would be camped out on a couch, bundled up in every comforter I could stand to be buried beneath, with a mug of hot cocoa and a bowl of soup at the slightest hint of a runny nose - let alone a cold. The old me would be able to take the day off from school and lounge about watching DVD-Marathons (like finally watching and enjoying all of Battlestar Galactica even though I roasted my family for watching it) or maybe even take a sick day from work.

Gone are those days, my friends. What are you supposed to do as a mom, home alone with an infant, when you get sick? And I am, of course, sick. I've steadily gotten more congested since Saturday, my head feels like someone's gripping it to the death in a vice, my throat is raw as Hades, and nothing will stay settled in my stomach for longer than 20 minutes after I eat. This really makes me just want to step outside and scream for whoever can hear me: Why me?!?! How many times have I been sick now in the last year? Normally I'm the one who hardly ever gets sick save a few sniffles once the cold weather officially kicks in. But not any more.

But all I ever want to do right now is keep my little body curled up in bed and sleep and sleep and sleep some more. And it's not like I have the family reinforcements who I would be able to call up if I was still back home in California. The only family that I have to call is my dad and step-mom and for two people who also have lives and a family household to run, something like a 2 hour drive is a little much of me to ask from them. There is, of course, Rob. Thank the stars I can count on him to come over and pick up Emmett for a few hours while I try and catch up with some of the sleep that my body is screaming at me that I need.

At least it's easier now. I can't imagine what ti would be like the farther we get from the family back up and as Emmett gets older and gets mobile. I don't see how any parent can possibly do it! Taking care of themselves while sick when there's a rambunctious child at home as well. One day I'm sure I'll have to figure that step out too. Right now I'm just thanking my lucky stars that (a) we've found a small solution for the time being and that (b) whatever I have has not been passed down to Emmett.

1 comments on "Am I allowed a sick day?"

Raising Twin Girls on October 1, 2009 at 9:05 AM said...

I hope you are feeling better. I took a sick day from work yesterday but I had my sister to watch the girls. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have her. I wish you had more help so you could relax. Take care and I pray that Emmett doesn't catch the bug.