Monday, January 26, 2009

24 weeks


Photobucket

Today marks the magical 24 weeks. Sorry though, I'm not too much in the mood for any kind of hellelujah.

I should be jumping up and down in joy with my pom-poms in the air. But no, I got to see Dr. Killjoy today. He really makes me uncomfortable, and never seems to have anything good to say. Up until today it's been nothing but "if you make it to 24 weeks", "the fetus has no chance of survival until then", or "you need to speak with the neonatologist about the effects of having a preterm baby and what you've gotten yourself into" from him. I was actually in tears and about ready to hyperventilate the last time I saw him, I talked with my Peri, and apparently he's still hanging around. You'd think that he might actually have something positive to say today with our milestone, but no. He comes in and I get a brief statement of "you're still pregnant". NO FREAKING SHIT, SHERLOCK!!! There are ways to treat patients and there are ways not to treat patients. Guess who needs to go back and retake Bedside Manner 101.

To add insult to injury, I started having contractions again last night and they didn't go away with my progesterone shot this morning. I'm pretty much maxed out on Procardia as it is, they can't up my dosage anymore because of my heart rate, so we've added Indocin to my regimen. I'm still measuring 1.5 cm, but am funneled to the stitch again. So nothing is holding Emmett back but the stitch, it's a scary thought and I'm trying not to freak out.

So please, keep me and Emmett in your prayers. I'm sorry to everyone I chat with on a daily basis. I haven't been up to the computer today.

5 comments on "24 weeks"

Mely on January 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM said...

Hi Heather!

I'm not sure if you remember me...I'm Mely for DIM, I lost my baby 3 months and 3 weeks ago. Anyway, I always lurk at the DIM and found out that you were at the hospital. I have been reading your blog daily...and I was just want to tell you that I have you and baby Emmett in my prayers. Hang in there I know frist hand how awefull is bedrest ( I was on it with my DD) but it will be so worth it once you have your baby in your arms...don't loose you track and be positive even when you think that it might be pointless. God has a beautiful plan for you and your baby and soon when all this is over you will bring home your beautiful son. Show those Drs without a good beside manners that the power of God is way powerfull.

I hope that you find the strenght that you need to go through this hard days...hang in there!
hugs,

Mely

Anonymous said...

Heather Lynn...

That little boy is a gift from god is right and between you and him thats whats keeping him in there not just a little stitch.

You be strong and we are all thinking of you....

xo

Shannon

Debbie on January 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM said...

Thinking of you, Heather Lynne.

I know it's hard to be excited, and Dr. Killjoy really does sound like a real ass. I'm sorry. But, Heather Lynne-- you have reached an INCREDIBLE milestone! 24 weeks!! VIABILITY!! That is truly wonderful! I'll jump up & down for joy for you. :)

I am thinking positive thoughts and hoping the contractions have stopped by now. I'll be checking back for an update. <3

Anonymous said...

Heather Lynne,
Just checking in to see how you are doing. I am sorry that your doctor isn't more positive but I am so glad that you have hit 24 weeks. Your doing everything you can and I hope that little baby Emmett stays put for many many more weeks!

Tanya (tanya2334-sheknows)

Raising Twin Girls on January 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM said...

Man that doctor is not a nice man. He needs a little sensitivity training. Grrrrr.

I really think your bed rest is working and just stay positive and know you hit that crucial mark of 24 weeks. I have that marker in my sight but obviously we want many more weeks of pregnancy to plump those babies up.

I hope you get some better news soon. I think about you every day and say a prayer for both you and Emmett.