Tuesday, January 27, 2009

fFN Test and Steroid Shots


Bedrest Day: 23
Hospital Day: 13

My Dr. ordered a fFN test yesterday. The fetal fibronectin (fFN) test is a test that is used to predict preterm labor. She said that a negative test result was what we hoped for and was good news, and a positive test result wouldn't really be able to tell us anything, but it would mean a green light for the steroid shots (which means that no, I didn't get the first shot yesterday).

Anyways, the test was positive. Dr. T. keeps telling me that it in no way means that I will be delivering within the next two weeks but it doesn't change the fact that the test was positive, no matter what she said. But it does make me feel better to know that a lot of other women have had a negative result and gone on to carry for weeks longer. So this afternoon I did get the first of the two steroid shots. The miracle shots, she called them. They;re given over the course of 24 hours, and are meant to strengthen the little guy's lungs in case he is born early. So instead of 2 days of booty shots in a row, I get 3. Make them upper hip shots, but they hurt or else I'm just super sensitive. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm going to be so sore for the rest of the week!

Next week I get to look forward to the glucose tolerance test.

6 comments on "fFN Test and Steroid Shots"

Anonymous said...

So have the contractions stopped or lessened?

Unknown on January 27, 2009 at 6:56 PM said...

Hey Heather Lynne, it's Carley from SK. I just saw your blog from lurking and wanted to let you know you and Emmett are in my prayers. I hope he stays put and grows nice & strong!

Kari on January 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM said...

You and Emmett are in my prayers.

Raising Twin Girls on January 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM said...

I hope the steriod shots help and I also hope you have many more weeks of pregnancy. Keep your spirits high Mamma.

Debbie on January 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM said...

Heres hoping the steroid shots were an unneeded precaution!
You stay put in there, Emmett!
Hang in there, Heather Lynne. <3

Tiffany Husted on January 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM said...

I am praying for you hon!! Do you have your graphics and stuff on your laptop?