Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th


Bedrest Day: 38
Hospital Day: 28

Anybody look at their calendars today? It's Friday the 13th, dun-dun-duuuuuuun. I'm not really a superstitious person to be honest. Good things happen, bad things happen. I've never clung to a rabbit's foot of four leaf clovers, I've never been afraid of black cats or breaking a mirror. Today should be just another day, right?

Ha! Life likes to show me up!! If ever I've become superstitious it would be this past year.

Shit. I was planning on writing something else, but I just got a call from Rob. First words out of his mouth: "Don't freak out, I'm fine." I'm sorry, but what kind of crap is that. You don't tell someone not to freak out because her first instinct is going to be to freak out. Her first reaction is to rip out the IV in her arm and run for the door before she realizes that (a) that would hurt and (b) she wouldn't get far and may even be strapped to her bed to be sure it doesn't happen again. The last time I heard someone say that to start a conversation was the time my dad got into a car accident less than a minute from my house and my sister and I didn't even know he was gone.

Shit, shit. It wasn't my dad this time. Rob got in a little wreck today on his way home. Some idiot ran a stop sign at an intersection and plowed right into the car. Yeah, I think that's reason for me to freak out. He's fine, thank god, but the car isn't. Who knows if it'll be salvageable, but we now have a grand total of zero vehicles that can drive for more than 30 minutes without dying. Rob's truck has been on the fritz which is why he was driving my car to begin with. Can anyone find optimism there, because I can't. It's going to cost us more money than we have to fix them both and somehow manage to get things ready for Emmett, and until we get one of them fixed I will be living life sans Rob. This means no Valentines Day for starters. He's going to take a look and see if it's something he can fix on his own, which I'm praying is the case.

What the hell does life have against us?

Fine, I found the one positive side note. He's fine. He's OK. He's not hurt. He said he has a bruise or two from the seat belt but otherwise no damage and no pain. We should be thankful that the car didn't hit the drivers side door. But really. I'm feeling more pessimistic about this than anything else. And furious. And angry. And I wish he was here.

1 comments on "Friday the 13th"

Kari on February 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM said...

Thank god he didn't get hurt! I hope your weekend gets better and that Rob can make it up to see you!